Father Antonio Bouquet, then pastor of Santa Teresita Parish, built Santa Teresita School which opened on September 11, 1950. Father Bouquet invited the Dominican Sisters of Mission San Jose to administer and staff the school.
The founding principal was Sister Marguerite Mendoza, O.P. Under her leadership the school reached 394 students in first through eighth grades by September 1954, and awarded diplomas to 30 students in the first graduating class of 1955. The Dominican Sisters brought to the school their charism rooted in the mission of St. Dominic de Guzmán: to preach truth and the Gospel of Jesus Christ. In a particular way the Dominican Sisters pursue this vision in the spirit of their foundress, Mother Maria Pia Backes, O.P., whose particular apostolic concern was to teach the young, the poor and the vulnerable.
More than 60 years later, Dominican Sisters still administer the school with lay faculty and staff. Sister Mary Catherine Antczak, O.P. serves as principal of Santa Teresita School. Santa Teresita School also receives weekly support from a Dominican Sister who mentors beginning teachers; a Dominican Sister who makes site visits each semester to maintain outreach with the Congregation’s affiliate schools; and Sisters who administer the Dominican Sisters’ Vision of Hope development program for inner-city schools.
Today the Dominican charism continues to animate the mission of Santa Teresita School, which remains a ministry of Santa Teresita Parish. The Piarist Fathers administer Santa Teresita Parish, and actively support the school and the sacramental life of the students and their families.